Find Solar Panels in the UK
Why Solar Panels in the UK Are a Great Option
Solar panels take advantage of one of nature’s most powerful yet free resources: the energy produced by the sun. Solar panels, also known as photovoltaic systems (PV systems), use semiconductor technology to convert energy from sunlight into electricity that can power your household for free.
On average, more than 4,000 solar panels are installed in the UK each month with many homeowners making the transition to solar energy every day. The prices of solar panels have steadily decreased over the years, as new technologies have continually been discovered to make solar energy components more efficient. On top of that, solar panels do not only help to reduce your energy bills, but they can also help you earn money from surplus electricity generated.
So, the 3 key benefits that come with solar panels are:
- Electricity all year round – Solar panels generate clean, emission-free electricity to power your home all year round, and their long life span of more than 25 years makes them worth the investment.
- Earn money from solar grants – The incentive of earning money from selling surplus electricity generated by your solar panels is another advantage to investing in this renewable technology. You will not just earn money from SEG, but also increase the resale value of your home.
- Reduce your carbon footprint – A solar-powered home can contribute to the bigger cause of reducing the carbon footprint and helping to eliminate harmful emissions.
Let’s take a 4kW solar panel system as an average PV system in a UK home.
It has an output of 3,400 kWh per year and costs around £6,000. If you compare this to the average annual electricity consumption of a household, which is around 3,200-4,100 kWh, solar panels can cover 83-106% of your electricity demand in perfect conditions. However, this depends on sunshine hours and energy usage. A more detailed breakdown of seasonality and monthly energy output can be found further below.
In addition, with incentives like the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG), you can even earn money for surplus energy exported back to the grid!
Interested in Purchasing Solar Panels?
The growing popularity of solar panels means that the prices have gone down by 60% over the past decade.
To help guide your switch to solar energy, GreenMatch has gathered in this guide the most useful information about solar panels, including:
- The overall prices of solar panels in the UK
- Financial incentives to help you get the most out of your investment
- Practical information about installation procedures and costs
- Solar panel features affecting efficiency and the best models out there